OT: old Ciscos, was Re: [HECnet] Ethernet Marks 40 Years Linking People, Computers in a Wired World

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri May 24 18:03:31 PDT 2013

On 2013-05-24 19:00, Peter Lothberg wrote:
On 05/24/2013 12:43 PM, Gregg Levine wrote:
Funny you should mention the keyword NuBus in your presentation. Yes
the Apple Mac II machines used it. They licensed it from TI, who
developed it while exploring the wonders of Lisp. Anyone here remember
the Lisp Machines that were extremely popular once?

    Oh yes, I have several of them here, all Symbolics.   A 3640, 3645, and an
XL1201.

One was made by TI. And it used that expansion bus.

    Yes, the TI Explorer.   I hadn't remembered that that was where NuBus came
from.   Neat.   Then it's less of a happenstance thing that Cisco used it,
given their Lisp connections back then.

???

There is no   NuBus in cisco land...   There is PCI (VIP/7200 port adapters)

Maybe someone can tell me what the connection is between Cisco and Lisp as well, because I missed that one too... (All I know is the connection between Cisco and PDP-10s)