[HECnet] Ethernet Marks 40 Years Linking People, Computers in a Wired World

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Fri May 24 18:02:12 PDT 2013

On Fri, 24 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 05/24/2013 08:58 AM, Clem Cole wrote:
I fear a sad part of this slide show is that many of us remember and were
part of it all.     Some of us   programmed these machines (I admit that I still
have some of these pieces in my basement).   I was disappointed they did not
show a "stinger tap." The picture of the Alto shows the first mouse     the
Hawley Labs mechanical mouse (which I miss for its feel).     Check out the
picture of the first Cisco router using Intel Multibus (with a Motorola 68k
in it) looking so awkward.

http://www.eweek.com/networking/slideshows/ethernet-marks-40-years-linking-people-computers-in-a-wired-world/?kc=EWKNLEDP05242013A&dni=60148934&rni=24249067

Speaking of which, I am now back in touch with my former employer and
mentor.   I may have mentioned him before; I worked for him ~25 years ago and
learned a great deal from him, but we'd subsequently lost touch.   Many years
before we met, he was the chairman of IEEE committee 802.3.   Before that, he
was one of the developers of OS/360.

He sounds like a very interesting guy.

I'm going to go to NJ to visit him soon; I'll see if he has any of his
802.3 slides or conference materials left.

It would be very interesting if he still had some!

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments