[HECnet] Ethernet Marks 40 Years Linking People, Computers in a Wired World

Fri May 24 17:20:30 PDT 2013

On May 24, 2013, at 12:15 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

So, here are a few photographs of some original Ethernet (10base5) bits
I have here --   Etherpipe, AUI cables, and h4000s and h4005s.   I put the
camera away before I'd realized that I'd not photographed the tap tool.
I hope you won't be too disappointed in that.

http://tmesis.net/10base5/

Nice.   Interesting to see the yellow stuff, I remember that in prototype installations but from what I was told, DEC switched to the brownish/orange teflon jacketed cable for customer shipments.   Something to do with flame rating for air handling spaces (i.e., dropped ceiling office areas).

	paul