[HECnet] CSV Proposal

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sun May 19 20:11:15 PDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [mailto:owner-
hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Sampsa Laine
Sent: 19 May 2013 19:14
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] CSV Proposal

OK,

Here's a really quick draft of what I'm thinking, feel free to add your
thoughts

The parseable info begins with ".BEGIN-HECNET-INFO" and ends with ".END-
HECNET-INFO"

The following columns must be present and named in the first line of the
parseable block:

- ADDR - DECNET address of host
- NAME - DECNET node name of host
- OWNER - Person who owns the box*
- EMAIL - Contact email for the box's admin*
- HARDWARE - What hardware the box is running*
- OS - What operating system / software stack the system is running*
- LOCATION - Textual location of box, optionally long/lat info in some
sane
format*

I would suggest one small change. Location should be two fields. One is the
textual description of the location, and one is the lat/long. Both optional
of course. Would need a specific format for lat/long so it is standard and
can be plotted on a map.

Regards

Rob

The fields marked with an asterisk can be left empty but must be present
in
the header.

Example:

.BEGIN-HECNET-INFO
ADDR |NAME   |OWNER                   |EMAIL                       |HARDWARE                           |OS
8.401|CHIMPY|Sampsa Laine     |sampsa at mac.com     |AlphaServer DS10
|OpenVMS 8.3       |London, England                         |Main SAMPSACOM system, SMTP
gateway (CHIMPYMAIL.COM)
8.400|GORVAX|Sampsa Laine     |sampsa at mac.com     |SIMH VAX on
OSX/Intel |OpenVMS 7.3       |London, England                         |MULTINET bridge to
Area 2, Area router
8.403|RHESUS|Sampsa Laine     |sampsa at mac.com     |HP rx2600 Dual 900MHz
8.500|PYFFLE|Sampsa Laine     |system at pyffle.com|VMWare
|Ubuntu+Pyffle BBS         |London, England                         |Waffle
reimplementation
BBS, log in as pyffle for access
.END-HECNET-INFO