[HECnet] CSV Proposal

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Sun May 19 18:23:00 PDT 2013

On 19 May 2013, at 19:17, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

I like it.

On May 19, 2013, at 11:03 AM, Brian Hechinger <wonko at 4amlunch.net> wrote:

CSV as a data format is actually quite powerful, flexible and simple.

In order for it to work, however, we need to agree on some ground rules.

The ground rules are simply this:

1) The first line must *always* be the header. This is not optional.

This has already sort of been defined, i.e.:

ADDR |NAME   |OWNER                   |EMAIL                       |HARDWARE                           |OS                         |LOCATION                                       |NOTES

2) The field separator must be chosen.

I think we've settled on "|", no?

3) The names of the columns must be decided on.

See 1

4) The column names should be case insensative.

No issue with that.

5) The columns need to be defined required or optional.

Do we do this in the header or in the documentation?

6) This all needs to be documented somewhere.

I'm happy to write a doc describing the format we eventually settle on.