[HECnet] Call for help to debug RTPAD.EXE on OpenVMS V8.3

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue May 21 02:45:11 PDT 2013

On 2013-05-20 23:34, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

On May 20, 2013, at 3:47 PM, G. wrote:

On Mon, 20 May 2013 21:10:18 +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Using the various implementations in RSX, I can tell that it's not
RSTS/E-like, but TOPS-20.

Actually I do not really know which seems which: I based my assumptions on
something from Paul Koening I might have misread or misremembered... :P

Bit rotting is a big issue of mine :)

Thanks, but in this case the mistake is probably mine.   I would have guessed that TOPS-10 used the RSTS flavor of RTERM.   Johnny's experiment certainly says otherwise.

It does, but I would be careful about saying it's absolutely conclusive.
First of all, do RSTS/E have more than one remote terminal protocol implementation?
Second, the RRS application (which connects to RSTS/E systems) might be checking explicitly for RSTS/E, while it might otherwise have worked just fine against TOPS-10.
The TOPS-20 application did work just fine against TOPS-10. No denying that one. But I really do not know what the different programs do under the hood.