[HECnet] Another sillyness. More information in the nodename database on MIM.

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Sun May 19 15:45:19 PDT 2013

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 05:30:01AM +0000, Mark Wickens wrote:
On 18/05/2013 16:49, Dave McGuire wrote:
    I've done a lot of database work, going back to Ingres and QUEL.   I'm one
of those weirdos who actually enjoys databases...I think most people find
database work to be dry and boring, but I find it fascinating and
stimulating.   I've seen DTR applications used in production but have never
had any exposure at all to the software...having something to actually *do*
with it, like this node database for HECnet, is great stuff, and a great way
to learn.

                            -Dave

Dave,

I avoided databases for a long time, but I kind of enjoy them too,
although it often leaves me feeling a little dirty ;)

Databases are where you store data. I think that's pretty obvious. :)

They can actually be quite fun. I've written an a resume generating
program entirely in PL/pgSQL. It takes data out of the database
(including templates) and spits out tex. Now *that* was dirty. :)

-brian