[HECnet] Another sillyness. More information in the nodename database on MIM.

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat May 18 22:40:32 PDT 2013

On 2013-05-18 21:11, h vlems wrote:
Say like each area router uses csv files :) ?

csv files might work, but the area router is sometimes definitely not the right machine. Think Cisco for example...

I think it both requires some more thinking, and also some more talking and experimenting.

Also, how much are people really interested in this? I mean, it's a fun toy, and it could potentially be used for a lot more, but if people will not really update information, there isn't much point in implementing something. In that case just me doing the occasional updates will work better. But for it to be useful for stuff, it probably needs some kind of usable interface. You could for instance imagine combining this with a Google map, and plotting all the places where there are machines, and you could get more information about who, and what machines on the map. Cool visualization of the spread of Hecnet.
Also, when people are curious about some specific thing on a certain OS, or version of an OS, they could search through the database to find who they might contact to get some help.
(But that might also require the we start having email addresses in there.)
Or the occasional email alert if an area looses connectivity.

You can probably come up with more ideas, if you think about it some. But they are only ideas until someone actually do something. I have way too many projects already, and I am using the nodename database to create the nodename list in DECnet on MIM, as well as two web services already. I don't think I'll do much more right now.

No need to push for solutions here until there at least is some request for it.

Like I said, another solution would be just to have people log into MIM to update information. I can easily write a program that will allow them, and with appropriate protection. So there are many possible solutions. I'm just not sure which is the best, or even if any is meaningful to do.

	Johnny