[HECnet] Another sillyness. More information in the nodename database on MIM.

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat May 18 17:49:56 PDT 2013

On 05/18/2013 12:45 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
    I like the idea of giving us all write access.   Maybe you can set up
regular dumps of the database for restoration in case someone screws up.

I can certainly do that. It just becomes a question of people might need to
reenter information in case a rollback has to go far. Also trickier to
realize if "corruption" actually have happened perhaps.
On the other hand, I could atleast have permissions that only allowed random
people to modify data, not add new, nor delete.

  That's a really good idea.

    It would give some of us a chance to learn Datatrieve in a real-world
scenario.   I myself have never worked with it and would like to learn it; I
learn best by doing.

Indeed. Very true. Datatrieve is not that different from something like MySQL
really. Different syntax, and some different capabilities (mostly more
restricted), but otherwise not that strange. If you've ever played with such
things.

  I've done a lot of database work, going back to Ingres and QUEL.   I'm one
of those weirdos who actually enjoys databases...I think most people find
database work to be dry and boring, but I find it fascinating and
stimulating.   I've seen DTR applications used in production but have never
had any exposure at all to the software...having something to actually *do*
with it, like this node database for HECnet, is great stuff, and a great way
to learn.