[HECnet] Another sillyness. More information in the nodename database on MIM.

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Thu May 16 23:26:35 PDT 2013

On May 16, 2013, at 18:07, Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> wrote:

On 16 May 2013, at 23:06, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

On May 16, 2013, at 4:38 PM, Sampsa Laine wrote:

DECnet/Python? What's this exactly?

sampsa

A project of mine, inspired by the user mode router project Rob Jarratt is doing.   It's the DECnet protocol stack implemented in Python.   So it should be portable (right now it runs on Mac OS and Linux).   And it's easy to implement because of the power of Python (for example, the on-NI cache is about 10 lines of code).

Right now I have datalink (Ethernet, SIMH DMC11 emulation, Multinet over UDP), Routing (Phase IV endnode, L1 router, L2 router, over both datalink types), MOP (Ethernet only, including console carrier), primitive monitoring via HTTP, and about 3% of NSP.

My goal is to make this a pretty complete DECnet implementation (Phase II through IV all in one).   Ideally, that will include an API so you can write DECnet applications that use this stack as the protocol implementation.   In other words, something that looks similar to DECnet sockets API, but inside the library it talks to the DECnet/Python daemon, NSP and below live there.

YOu can see the work in progress at svn://akdesign.dyndns.org/pydecnet/trunk/pydecnet .   No documentation to speak of yet, I should work on that...

    paul

Oh cool, was just thinking about writing stuff in Python for DECNET. Let me know when the stack is stable.

Yeah, I'm very excited for this. The DECnet mapping project is going to be a ton easier once he finishes NCP (and I get the chance to test his moprc stuff against my cisco router).

-brian