[HECnet] Another sillyness. More information in the nodename database on MIM.

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Thu May 16 22:43:53 PDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [mailto:owner-
hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Paul_Koning at Dell.com
Sent: 16 May 2013 22:06
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] Another sillyness. More information in the nodename
database on MIM.

On May 16, 2013, at 4:38 PM, Sampsa Laine wrote:

DECnet/Python? What's this exactly?

sampsa

A project of mine, inspired by the user mode router project Rob Jarratt is
doing.   It's the DECnet protocol stack implemented in Python.   So it
should be
portable (right now it runs on Mac OS and Linux).   And it's easy to
implement
because of the power of Python (for example, the on-NI cache is about 10
lines of code).

Right now I have datalink (Ethernet, SIMH DMC11 emulation, Multinet over
UDP), Routing (Phase IV endnode, L1 router, L2 router, over both datalink
types), MOP (Ethernet only, including console carrier), primitive
monitoring
via HTTP, and about 3% of NSP.

My goal is to make this a pretty complete DECnet implementation (Phase II
through IV all in one).   Ideally, that will include an API so you can
write
DECnet applications that use this stack as the protocol implementation.
In
other words, something that looks similar to DECnet sockets API, but
inside
the library it talks to the DECnet/Python daemon, NSP and below live
there.

YOu can see the work in progress at
svn://akdesign.dyndns.org/pydecnet/trunk/pydecnet .   No documentation
to speak of yet, I should work on that...

	paul

You seem to have got much further than I have. Although I do have enough of
NSP and NICE to allow SH KNOWN CIRCUIT and SH ADJACENT NODES.

Regards

Rob