[HECnet] TOPS-10 and DECnet Progress Update

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sat May 18 19:14:35 PDT 2013

On Sat, 18 May 2013, Paul_Koning wrote:

On May 18, 2013, at 1:28 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

On Sat, 18 May 2013, G. wrote:
If you use the CTERM protocol, it will be always slow and sluggish, no matter
how much you'll try to tweak it. Try SET HOST /APP=R and appreciate speed :)

It's MUCH more usable when using RTERM.   Thank you.

Why is CTERM so slow on TOPS-10?

Because CTERM was designed, in essence, as a remote procedure call representation of the VMS terminal driver features.   The ones in TOPS-10 are entirely different -- just consider the way carriage return echoes.   So TOPS-10 is forced to do its terminal I/O through a protocol that doesn't come close to matching what it really wants to see.   I suspect it simply runs things in single character mode, since that's about the only way to guarantee that you get what you want.

Ahhhh.   Yeah. That would explain it.

Come to think of it, TOPS-10 RTERM mode may well be just that, but it's a very lightweight protocol so it's fast.   It also has the nice benefit that it exists on systems that don't do CTERM -- like RSTS.

Yup.   Very beneficial on systems without CTERM. ;)

	paul

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff