[HECnet] Re: TOPS-10 and DECnet Progress Update

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Fri May 17 03:10:40 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

On Thu, 17 May 2013, Gregg Levine wrote:

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

On 2013-05-16 22:16, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons wrote:

Al 15/05/13 22:52, En/na Cory Smelosky ha escrit:

What does it use for network device?

It's using the NI right now, as it's KLH10.

Speaking of devices... has anyone been succesful configuring KLH10 to
use a tap interface? I have not been able to do that, so I have to
share
the host real ethernet, thus making not posible to run two instances
of
KLH10 in the same host (unless I run those inside a VM, which is a
little bit overkill).

Oh, and a weird thing... I have a simulated TOPS-10 under KLH10 with
DECNET up and running... but it can talk only to its adjacent nodes.
It
seems like the routing node (a simh 780 running VMS 4.7) does not
route
traffic (in either direction) when the destination or the source is
the
KLH10... Weird.

Are you sure it talks ok with the routing node? I mean, have you
actually
used any protocol to test, or just noted the adjacency up messages? The
reason I ask is that the adjacency up messages are not really enough to
be
sure that the link really is working.

One thing to remember is that a router adjacency "up" transition does
not
make anything reachable (except on DECnet/E which doesn't quite do
things
according to the spec).   Only when the routing messages are exchanged
after
the adjacency comes up is anything marked as reachable.   Yes, that
includes
the neighbor router, by spec (this is the part that DECnet/E does
differently).

              paul

One amusing issue: I kept getting adjacency up notices about my TOPS-10
install...but no down notices. ;)

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff

Hello!
My doing.
Now how come you, Cory, didn't react regarding my description of how
your network for the TOPS-10 setup was arranged? Or that of stirring
in the monster from the WB cartoons?

I may have missed that email.

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments

Hello!
Oh dear.
Search back to the beginning of the thread, when you made the
announcement in a completely new one.
-----
Odd. Now why is that red guy in a monster suit and wearing cheap
sneakers pounding on that terminal again?
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com