[HECnet] Which DECnet interfaces support remote, unattended, booting?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Fri May 17 20:24:48 PDT 2013

On 2013-05-17 21:20, Bob Armstrong wrote:
Also, the VAX-11/750 do not even use VMB...

    The 750 _could_ use VMB; you just had to load it from TU58.   The 750 just
didn't need VMB to boot from disk - it just had a "shortcut" (some might say
a "hack") for that path.

True. And the hack was pretty much "do it like PDP-11s do". :-)

I have no problems with that approach!

    And I believe the hack worked just as well for booting Unix too; that's
why the 750 was very popular with Unix sites.

Indeed. For all of its primitiveness, this was actually an advantage.

And of course, nobody ever wanted to boot anything but VMS... ;-)

    Well, DEC didn't, and they did build the machine after all.

    Didn't seem to stop any of the Unix crowd from using it too.

:-)
Don't get me wrong. I like bashing the VAX (and DEC), but I actually
like the machine.

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments