[HECnet] Which DECnet interfaces support remote, unattended, booting?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri May 17 20:19:25 PDT 2013

On 2013-05-17 21:13, Cory Smelosky wrote:

On Fri, 17 May 2013, Bob Armstrong wrote:

Really?   Not from tape?   Interesting design choice...

Old VAXes booted standalone BACKUP from the console media (TU58 or
RX01).
SA BACKUP then could talk to tape drives just fine.   It's all you need to
install VMS, so that was all they did.

Ah right.   Makes more sense how.

How were the VAX BSDs installed then?   Standalone bootloader on a floppy?

The one time I did it, I actually hacked the boot loader into memory from the console, and started from there. The boot loader was listed in the manual.
But (as I mentioned in another mail), this came from MtXinu. Not sure how other BSDs did it, as I never had an original distribution from any other.

But once you had the system installed, you also created a console media which could boot the thing, as VMB was not able to boot a Unix system anyway, even from disk.