[HECnet] Which DECnet interfaces support remote, unattended, booting?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri May 17 18:57:29 PDT 2013

On 2013-05-17 19:18, Cory Smelosky wrote:

On Fri, 17 May 2013, Bob Armstrong wrote:

John Wilson wrote:
this is a ridiculous security risk
so that's why MOP had a magic number

Yep, even the DMR has a boot "password", which is just an 8 bit value
set
by dip switches on the board, that has to match up with the MOP message.

They DMA a small program into memory

Ah, I was wondering about that, because there aren't any separate boot
ROMs on the DEUNA.   I bet the "small program" is just part of the T11
code.

And I'm assuming that this scheme didn't work on any UNIBUS VAXes - only
PDPs.

I'd assume so as well.   On a semi-related note, wasn't it not possible
to netboot a UNIBUS VAX with a DEUNA?   I seem to recall that from the
manual. It required an intermediate bootloader or something, right?

Unibus VAXen basically means VAX-11 machines. They booted either from VMB on console media, or (for the 11/750) from a boot block. No network capabilities there. They could not even boot from tape.