[HECnet] Which DECnet interfaces support remote, unattended, booting?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri May 17 16:40:26 PDT 2013

On 2013-05-17 17:34, Bob Armstrong wrote:
John Wilson wrote:
this is a ridiculous security risk
so that's why MOP had a magic number

    Yep, even the DMR has a boot "password", which is just an 8 bit value set
by dip switches on the board, that has to match up with the MOP message.

I don't remember how you set the password on the DEUNA/DELUA, it might be something you programmed, so by default it was a known value, but as soon as the system have started up, it can change it to something else, or even disable the trigger ability (maybe).

They DMA a small program into memory

    Ah, I was wondering about that, because there aren't any separate boot
ROMs on the DEUNA.   I bet the "small program" is just part of the T11 code.

Um, no. The "small program" is a program expected to be executed by the host.

    And I'm assuming that this scheme didn't work on any UNIBUS VAXes - only
PDPs.

Correct. :-)