[HECnet] Which DECnet interfaces support remote, unattended, booting?

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Fri May 17 15:32:12 PDT 2013

I thought the DELQA did? I don't think the DEQNA did, however.
Also, the DEUNA and DELUA handles it, as far as I know.

  I thought I remembered that the Ethernet interfaces could do it, but how
does that work?   The DMR required that you have a M9312 with the appropriate
boot ROMs - were there NI boot ROMS for the M9312 too?   How did the DELQA do
it (i.e. which QBUS PDP-11 CPU had an NI boot ROM)?

  Also, the DMR was smart enough to implement DDCMP in "hardware" and so it
understood MOP at least well enough to detect the TRIGGER message.   The
DEUNA/DELUA/DEQNA/DELQA has no reason to implement DDCMP, although it
certainly had enough local CPU power to do so.   Did it still scan for MOP
trigger messages anyway?   Or was the Ethernet trigger implemented
differently?

Bob