[HECnet] Phone company (US) and DEC hardware and the mainframe

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Thu May 16 05:23:56 PDT 2013

Hello!
Here's an interesting issue, we all know who created UNIX and its
descendants. I do know that it was extended to accommodate the needs
of running the phone exchanges that the companies setup to use the ESS
and its relatives.

But wasn't there a story floating around that they had worked out how
to have the phone companies systems to communicate the necessary
billing specs to an ordinary IBM system, who'd eventually create the
bills? (Or even had the same DEC hardware who ran the phone system, do
the billing itself?) Basically the story thus told contains a heck of
a lot of holes, and in here I'm hoping that someone does know the
details.

Running those systems now must be quite an accomplishment now though.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com