[HECnet] Reviving the DECnet on TOPS-10 project

G. gerry77 at mail.com
Tue May 14 23:06:07 PDT 2013

On Tue, 14 May 2013 21:23:52 -0000, you wrote:

Job       Who         Line#       What     Size(P)   State     Run Time

  2       [OPR]         CTY         SYSTAT   23+SPY   RN                         0
  4       [OPR]         DET751   FILDAE   17           HB                         0
  5       [OPR]         751                         11           ^C                         0

I think I should have more jobs than this...

Definitely. Maybe a syntax error in SYS:SYSJOB.INI? That unnamed job in "^C"
state is NO good at all. I do not remember exactly what to do (you may want to
check on alt.sys.pdp10), but I think you should ATTACH to that job and try to
give a CCONTINUE to it (its not a typo: CContinue), then ATTACH back.

Look at http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/tops10v704_docc/index.html for some
other information, particularly in CMND.MEM (for CCONTINUE) and OPGD.MEM.

Off topic (?) for everyone:

You may want to try to contact /BAH alias Barb on alt.sys.pdp10 and ask her
(it's a lady!) for some suggestions. She is also on alt.folklore.computers.
She worked at DEC on TOPS-10 in the Seventies and Eighties and helped me a
lot. She was the "significant other" of Jim Flemming who once wrote almost all
of the (SMP) code in the TOPS-10 monitor. Every monitor programmer had its
three letter acronym: hers was /BAH, his was /JMF. She still signs herself as
/BAH :) Look for /JMF and /TW (Tony Wachs) in TOPS-10 sources. They were her
friends. She once even went to some public library to read some old sources
and give me some answer; I owe her almost any TOPS-10 knowledge. Another one
very worth a read on alt.sys.pdp10 is Rich Alderson (is he reading here too?)
from the Living Computer Museum.

This is worth a careful reading. My TOPS-10 setup is a tribute to BAH & JMF:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sys.pdp10/msg/7592579d5fdab7ae

HTH,
G.

P.S. She's a bit grumpy too :PPP