[HECnet] Console terminal switch and/or reverse terminal server suggestion?

Fred fcoffey at misernet.net
Tue May 14 16:21:18 PDT 2013

On Tue, 14 May 2013, Bob Armstrong wrote:

like VMS or RSX.   That means my console terminal would have to connect to a
VAX, log in, and from there connect out again to the DECserver and the
PDP-11 or 8 console port.   Kinda complicated and ugly.

If I'm understanding you correctly, that doesn't seem to be the case with my DECServer 90M that I have.

I have MISER, THRIFTY (a linux box), and used to have FRUGAL's (when it was a physical VAX and not SIMH) consoles connected to the DECServer. Created services on the DECServer that allow me to connect to the console of any host from any other host.   I have a VT525 attached to the terminal server and do not have to log in to a host first if I want a console.   I have multisessions enabled, and use an "un-named" session on the terminal, and just connect to say "miser_con" service and BOOM there I am on MISER's console.   You can even password protect services if you wish.

Is this what you are trying/wanting to do?   ... or did I just bark up the wrong tree?

Fred