[HECnet] Useful RSX stuff

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun May 12 00:31:20 PDT 2013

On 2013-05-11 19:07, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons wrote:

El 04/05/2013, a les 17:02, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> va escriure:

All of these can be found on MIM::DU:[4,54] unless stated otherwise. Let
me know if you are interested in sources, as I usually have those as well,
but in various places.

Nice bunch of stuff you have :) I am trying to peek at it a little bit,
but it seems the permissions are not set up to allow "public" access:

dir mim::du:[4,54]dob.*

%DIRECT-E-OPENIN, error opening MIM::DU:[4,54]DOB.TSK;1 as input
-RMS-E-PRV, insufficient privilege or file protection violation

GUEST account doesn't work either:

dir mim"guest guest"::du:[4,54]dob.*

%DIRECT-E-OPENIN, error opening MIM"guest password"::DU:[4,54]DOB.TSK;1 as
input
-RMS-E-PRV, insufficient privilege or file protection violation

(I'm trying to access from a VAX/VMS system running RSX).

Oww. Crap. I tightened security many years ago when I found that some people
were trying to download the whole RSX distribution from MIM over kermit...

I'll fix that access to [4,54] right away.

                                                                    ||   on a psychedelic trip

Hello!
People are trying to do that? Locally or from far away? That's a heck
of a lot of things to download. And from what I've seen with this
discussion quite a mess.

I noticed it happening many times. Where they originated from I don't know. No trivial way of finding out.
But yeah. I found out since I noticed people running kermit for hours, sucking cpu and bandwidth. And checking what they were transferring, it was just about everything. Some had just done a GET [*]*.*, others have been creative enough to setup virtual disks, or univeral libraries, to transfer a few really large files.

MIM, and MAGICA before that, have been a public service on the internet for about 20 years now...