[HECnet] DDCMP over asynchronous emulated lines on simh 4.0

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu May 2 23:37:24 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
Qniverter

Yes, I remember the Qniverter - he wanted to test it, but we were not using LSI-11s at UCB.    For a long time the communications boards were feeding him.   Ken and team were great.    I have some fun stories when he would show at USENIX and talk.    My favorite was his talk about being careful about "foreign"  UNIBUS implementations - coming from the mouth of a guy that was a if not the leading UNIBUS com board supplier for a long time.   But he was right, if I remember one of the DEC (KMC-11 maybe) had a loosy Unibus implementation and you needed to be careful where you installed it.      Plus, Able was the king of bus repeaters -- Ken O'h knew as much if not more about the dark sides of the Unibus than anyone.   I came to trust his boards over DECs for a long time.

BTW: Emulex did some great things too.    The originally were doing disk interface clones for the 11s and vaxen and eventually moved in the coms stuff.   I don't remember if Ken ever did an ethernet board, but I think I remember that Emulex made them.   I know we used to use the Emulex disk controllers pretty much  exclusively  at the time.

Clem