[HECnet] Telnet/SSH attacks

Dennis Boone drb at msu.edu
Tue Nov 26 14:46:51 PST 2013

Am I the only one who's almost constantly being hit by login scans
(usually from China or weird places like Kazakhstan - sorry Oleg) on
their Internet facing Telnet/SSH ports?

It's not like they get in or anything, my guess is that this is just
part of a larger scan so if you guys are getting hit as well, I won't
worry that I'm being targeted :)

Pretty much if it's connected to the internet, it's getting
dictionary-scanned on any open telnet and ssh ports.   The scanners have
gotten a little smarter in the last 8 years or so -- they no longer
generate so many parallel connections that you notice them because of
load or socket starvation.

I put in firewall rules to block addresses which generate too many ssh
connections in a period of time, mostly to prevent the log spam.

De