[HECnet] Weird boot error

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Nov 18 20:10:37 PST 2013

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013, G. wrote:

%SYSBOOT-E-Unable to locate file PKCDRIVER.EXE

For some (strange) reason your MicroVAX ROM decided not to output the above
two messages but to consider every byte as an error message number, and to
output the corresponding error message identification.

Could be that the install was done on a MicroVAX 3100 and I tried to boot
it in a VAXstation 4000/60.

If cleaning the memory boards works, I can tell you for sure in a day or
two...gotta wait for them to appropriately dry.

(They were toast anyway...battery seems to have corroded them somehow to
get them stuck in a loop.)

Maybe that disk is not a bootable one and/or contains a corrupted volume which
has fouled some MicroVAX ROM routine. So it's very likely that those two error
messages are not relevant or correct, and most of all they cannot be trusted.

I figured as much.   There is a dka700:[sys0] on the disk.

HTH,
G.

--
Cory Smelosky