[HECnet] HECnet bridge and tun/tap problems on Ubuntu 12.04 ...

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sun Nov 10 09:36:32 PST 2013

Sent from my iPhone

On 10 Nov 2013, at 12:08, "Bob Armstrong" <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:

   It   s not exactly a DEC problem, but I know there are several people on HECnet running simh under Linux and I   m hoping somebody has already figured this one out.

   I used to run simh (vax and pdp11 both) under Ubuntu 10.04 using Johnny   s bridge program and a tap device to connect to HECnet.

sudo tunctl -t tap0
sudo ifconfig tap0 up
sudo -b /usr/local/bin/hecnet-bridge 4711

the bridge.conf file (I   ll post it if anybody wants) bridges tap0 with Psilo.update.uu.se and in simh I would say

                             set xqb enabled
attach xqb tap0

and it worked great.   Everybody was happy :-)

   BUT, now I   ve upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 (Ok, I   m not an early adopter!) and, as you might guess, it doesn   t work anymore.   No errors and the tap0 device looks OK

                             bob at falsetto:~/legato$ ifconfig tap0
tap0           Link encap:Ethernet   HWaddr c6:36:37:eb:16:7a
                            UP BROADCAST MULTICAST   MTU:1500   Metric:1
                            collisions:0 txqueuelen:500
                            RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)   TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

but nothing ever happens.   No data seems to pass between the bridge program and simh.

   Is anybody else using Ubuntu?   Did you run into this problem?      Thanks,
Bob

Try setting the interfaces promiscuous.