[HECnet] Ersatz-11 PDP-11 emulator V7.0

Mon Nov 4 07:39:11 PST 2013

On Nov 2, 2013, at 2:44 PM, Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> wrote:

Yuk.     I would think that a OS interface library might help here.     Linux, Mac OS and *BSD are all pretty much the same for the basic I/O and all three support most of the basic low level OS stuff from open/close/read/write to mmap/semphores etc..     Where they differ is in UI and specifically GUI.     I wonder if you considered something like QT for everything but DOS, I would like the amount of OS specific code you had to deal with I would hope would drop substantially.

QT would look like ass, frankly, esp on OS X.

I'd go for SDL and just make the UI a framebuffer thats a DOS screen with the same inputs as the DOS version. No need to write any manuals either :)

Or SDL and a Star Trek interface or whatever, but all the cross-platform GUI stuff looks TERRIBLE on OS X.

Maybe Qt does -- I only looked at it briefly and concluded I liked neither the API nor the license.

However, wxWidgets works very well.   It's very portable, produces native looking applications, and works on lots of operating systems.   I've been using it for years.

It also comes with a good Python library.

	paul