[HECnet] HECnet bridge on Solaris 2.9

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Oct 17 12:59:45 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-16 22:45, Mark Wickens wrote:
Well, I managed to get the bridge compiled up on Solaris with some minor
makefile and include and library tweaks having compiled up the latest
libpcap. I am using the opencsw archive for general unix software.

If I run the bridge with debug on I get the following output:

  ./bridge 4711
Config filename: bridge.conf
Adding router ''local''. 0001187c:-4206648
Adding router ''update''. 82ee1319:4711
Adding DECnet bridge local.
Trying to match local
Matching against: local
Found match: local == local
Adding DECnet bridge update.
Trying to match update
Matching against: local
Matching against: update
Found match: update == update
Adding LAT bridge local.
Trying to match local
Matching against: local
Found match: local == local
Adding LAT bridge update.
Trying to match update
Matching against: local
Matching against: update
Found match: update == update
Host table:
0: local 0.0.0.0:0 (Rx: 0 Tx: 0 (Drop rx: 0)) Active: 1 Throttle: 0(000)
1: update 130.238.19.25:4711 (Rx: 0 Tx: 0 (Drop rx: 0)) Active: 1
Throttle: 0(000)
Hash of known destinations:
Adding new hash entry. Port is 1
Adding new hash entry. Port is 1
Adding new hash entry. Port is 1
Adding new hash entry. Port is 1
Adding new hash entry. Port is 1
Adding new hash entry. Port is 1
Setting existing hash to bridge 1
Setting existing hash to bridge 1
Setting existing hash to bridge 1
Setting existing hash to bridge 1
Adding new hash entry. Port is 1
Setting existing hash to bridge 1
Setting existing hash to bridge 1
Adding new hash entry. Port is 1
Adding new hash entry. Port is 1

Which looks encouraging, but when I try and use DECNET on SLAVE I get
the following:

[MSW]SLAVE$ dir mim::
%DIRECT-E-OPENIN, error opening MIM::*.*;* as input
-RMS-F-SYS, QIO system service request failed
-SYSTEM-F-PATHLOST, path to network partner node lost

Any ideas what might be going wrong? I've updated my NAT to point to the
Ultra 5 for port 4711.

Could you run a tcpdump on the network where the Sun is sitting. Dump the full ethernet headers.
I have some vague memory of that you might not be able to set arbitrary source MAC addresses on packets sent on Sun machines, which would make it impossible to use the bridge...

(Yes, DECnet nodes check that the source MAC address of received packets are consistent with what is expected, and refuse to get adjacency up if there is something wrong.