[HECnet] SSD for Vax

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Thu Oct 10 15:21:37 PDT 2013

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013, Brian Hechinger wrote:

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 10:08:29AM -0400, Cory Smelosky wrote:

There has been very little success with IDE to SCSI converters on this
age of machine.

Hmm. bad IDE to SCSI converters?

That's my theory. Although anything having anything to do with IDE is
hit or miss. It's a terrible interface. :)

There are SCSI/SATA converters but the cheapest ones I found are US$250
which is extremely pricy. :(

If you could SAS as pure SCSI, SAS/SCSI converters are dirt cheap. ;)

Remember also that even 4000/90 vintage VAXstations generally have an
upper limit of 18GB.

Uh? That got to be a limit in VMS in that case. I can't see how
the hardware would have that limit.

This is patently untrue. The 146G disks in my 4000/90 prove that. :)

I'd be surprised if you weren't using an adapter to attach an SCA drive. I tried that but the VAX didn't like seeing my 36G 10k RPM drive.   I also kept bumping it and shorting out the adapter on the case...

Iirc solid-state SCSI drives existed.

They did, and they still exist. They tend to be industrial grade stuff,
however and also tend to be silly expensive.

Yeah.

-brian

--
Cory Smelosky