[HECnet] SSD for Vax

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Thu Oct 10 08:46:36 PDT 2013

On 10/10/2013 08:17, Daniel Soderstrom wrote:
Has anyone tries this? Running my Vaxstation non-stop reminds me how much noise these old drives make.

Has anyone tried SSD drives? Must be good for the PSU it terms of heat and current draw.

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone
There has been very little success with IDE to SCSI converters on this age of machine.
Remember also that even 4000/90 vintage VAXstations generally have an upper limit of 18GB.

I don't recall anyone even getting an IDE drive to work, let alone an SSD.

Would love to be proved wrong however! I'm surprised someone hasn't written a software based SCSI drive emulator the same way that you get floppy emulators.

Consider running the machine diskless, booted off the network with off-node disks.

Mark

--
    http://www.wickensonline.co.uk
    http://hecnet.eu