[HECnet] SSD for Vax

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Thu Oct 10 18:26:13 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 07:18:03PM +0200, Sampsa Laine wrote:

On 10 Oct 2013, at 19:12, Brian Hechinger <wonko at 4amlunch.net> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 06:33:15PM +0200, Sampsa Laine wrote:

Sounds like a business opportunity, basically build an enclosure, get 5-6 consumer SSDs, RAID6 them, expose a SCSI/SAS/eSATA interface to the host. If one of the drives breaks/runs out of write cycles, the box indicates the slot and we provide a new SSD for the slot.

FreeBSD can do this easily enough.

In most cases (like my 4000/90, for example) that's way overkill. I just
want to be able to plug something in that would replace the internal
disks.

If I were doing this.   I still think my 4000/90 is going to get hooked
up to a little MSA of some sort.

I was more thinking about selling this to "enterprise" users, not hobbyists :)

The device would be packaged as a black box with no configuration etc needed - it just looks like a SCSI drive to the bus.

It could provide more space, redundancy and speed for lower cost if built right..

It would be very surprising if something like this didn't already exist
in the "enterprise" market and cost a lot. :)

-brian