[HECnet] SSD for Vax

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Thu Oct 10 18:12:51 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 06:33:15PM +0200, Sampsa Laine wrote:

Sounds like a business opportunity, basically build an enclosure, get 5-6 consumer SSDs, RAID6 them, expose a SCSI/SAS/eSATA interface to the host. If one of the drives breaks/runs out of write cycles, the box indicates the slot and we provide a new SSD for the slot.

FreeBSD can do this easily enough.

In most cases (like my 4000/90, for example) that's way overkill. I just
want to be able to plug something in that would replace the internal
disks.

If I were doing this.   I still think my 4000/90 is going to get hooked
up to a little MSA of some sort.

-brian