[HECnet] SSD for Vax

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Oct 10 16:00:14 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-10 16:31, Cory Smelosky wrote:
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013, Brian Hechinger wrote:

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 10:21:37AM -0400, Cory Smelosky wrote:

If you could SAS as pure SCSI, SAS/SCSI converters are dirt cheap. ;)

Links? It's an obnoxious thing to search for. :)

Oops.   I meant SAS/SATA.   They're dirt cheap as you just grab the right
SFF cable. ;)

Might be. But both equally impossible to connect to your VAX, as it actually have SCSI, and not SAS.

This is patently untrue. The 146G disks in my 4000/90 prove that. :)

I'd be surprised if you weren't using an adapter to attach an SCA
drive. I tried that but the VAX didn't like seeing my 36G 10k RPM
drive.   I also kept bumping it and shorting out the adapter on the
case...

I did, but that shouldn't make any difference. It's just adapts between
different physical connectors. There is no magic in a 50-pin/SCA
adapter.

I must've had IDs and termination set wrong then.

Indeed. There are several different connectors for SCSI, but adapters are available, and it's just straight wires between pins on the different connectors.

Iirc solid-state SCSI drives existed.

They did, and they still exist. They tend to be industrial grade stuff,
however and also tend to be silly expensive.

Yeah.

It's unfortunate, really. :(]

Yeah. :(

You can say that about anything you have to pay for. Or course it's nicer if you could get it for free...