[HECnet] FDDI advice

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Thu Oct 10 18:39:48 PDT 2013

yOn Thu, 10 Oct 2013, Brian Hechinger wrote:

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 01:24:19PM -0400, Cory Smelosky wrote:
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013, Brian Hechinger wrote:

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 01:19:02PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 10/10/2013 01:16 PM, Hans Vlems wrote:
Fddi was the answer for production plants that required 100% uptime
Only once did Fddi let me down and made me go back to work at 3:30 am,
the worst time to wake up. One of the boards in a gs/fddi failed,
isolating two plants.
I did manage to explode a power supply in a gs. Made one hell of ?bang,
fortunately that part was redundant so the net stayed up.

Yuck!

Compared to fast ethernet, I prefer fddi.

Same here.

Too expensive for private or hobbyist use though.

Hardly.   You just need the right connections.   I was nearly 100% FDDI
on my home network in the mid-1990s...didn't take all that much money.
I didn't have much! ;)

Hell, when I got into FDDI in the early 2000s it was cheaper than
FastEthernet!

-brian

I was contemplating making my house 4-way redundant.   MoCa.   FE,
FibreChannel, and FDDI.   All to link to the basement.

If I had the cables I woulda done it, too...

You're weird. :)

Thank you!

-brian

--