[HECnet] FDDI advice

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Thu Oct 10 17:54:25 PDT 2013

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 10/10/2013 10:35 AM, Brian Hechinger wrote:
The other two: the DECbridge 900, which plugged into the 900 series
modular enclosure.   It's about the side of a 400 page hardcover
book, FDDI to 6 Ethernet ports, 60,000 packets per second using a
MC68040 at 25 MHz.   I'm still proud of that.   (I wrote the "fast
path" packet forwarding firmware.)

Neat!

That's not "neat"...that's AWESOME.   Just pointing it out..

;)

Then there is the Gigaswitch, a large modular chassis with lots of
line cards, some FDDI, some Ethernet, possibly some with other
stuff I don't remember.

I think this is the one I had. Big modular thing. Maybe (and going
by really fuzzy memory here) 8U high?

A GigaSwitch is a lot more than 8U high.   Try nearly half a rack.

I'm going to assume half a 42U rack for maximum awesomeness. ;)

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects