[HECnet] FDDI advice

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Oct 10 17:38:19 PDT 2013

On 10/10/2013 10:35 AM, Brian Hechinger wrote:
The other two: the DECbridge 900, which plugged into the 900 series
modular enclosure.   It's about the side of a 400 page hardcover
book, FDDI to 6 Ethernet ports, 60,000 packets per second using a
MC68040 at 25 MHz.   I'm still proud of that.   (I wrote the "fast
path" packet forwarding firmware.)

Neat!

  That's not "neat"...that's AWESOME.   Just pointing it out..

Then there is the Gigaswitch, a large modular chassis with lots of
line cards, some FDDI, some Ethernet, possibly some with other
stuff I don't remember.

I think this is the one I had. Big modular thing. Maybe (and going
by really fuzzy memory here) 8U high?

  A GigaSwitch is a lot more than 8U high.   Try nearly half a rack.