[HECnet] FDDI advice

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Thu Oct 10 15:53:42 PDT 2013

On 10/10/2013 15:29, Brian Hechinger wrote:
All this talk of FDDI makes me want to go get the 4000/500s. I have a
pair of QBus FDDI cards. I suppose I would have to make the Octane a
router between FDDI and ethernet. :)

-brian

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 02:26:23PM +0000, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

If you have SAS NICs. you can connect a pair of them (S to S).

Thanks for all the info guys, I knew you'd be one hell of a knowledgeable lot!

If I understand what you are saying correctly, if I have NODE3 with the Turbochannel FDDI card (copper based) and a.n.other (call it NODE2 for arguments sake) ALPHA with a PCI FDDI Copper card I could wire them too together directly?

If that were so I would presumably need to do some routing within NODE2 to allow NODE3 access to network traffic if NODE2 was also connected to the 'great wide world' via ethernet.

Is there anything I'm missing in this picture?

Regards, Mark.

--
    http://www.wickensonline.co.uk
    http://hecnet.eu