[HECnet] OpenVMS 6.1 Cluster - Alpha not booting to form cluster

Hans Vlems hvlems at zonnet.nl
Tue Oct 8 20:52:40 PDT 2013

Van: Mark Wickens
Verzonden: dinsdag 8 oktober 2013 14:37
Aan: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Beantwoorden: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Onderwerp: Re: [HECnet] OpenVMS 6.1 Cluster - Alpha not booting to form cluster

On 08/10/2013 12:15, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
> Mark Wickens <mark at wickensonline.co.uk> writes:

>>> Just 2 nodes?
>>>
>>> What's your quorum configuration?
>>>
>>> Post:
>>>
>>> $ MCR SYSGEN SHOW VOTES
>>> $ MCR SYSGEN SHOW EXPECTED_VOTES
>>>
>>> ..from each node.
>> I think you, sir, may have found the issue:
>>
>> On RIPLEY (the Alpha):
>>
>> $ mcr sysgen show votes
>> Parameter Name Current Default Min. Max. Unit Dynamic
>> -------------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ----
>> -------
>> VOTES 1 1 0 127 Votes
>> $ mcr sysgen show expected votes
>> Parameter Name Current Default Min. Max. Unit Dynamic
>> -------------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ----
>> -------
>> EXPECTED_VOTES 2 1 1 127 Votes
>>

>> On DALLAS (the VAX):
>>
>> $ mcr sysgen show votes
>> Parameter Name Current Default Min. Max. Unit Dynamic
>> -------------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ----
>> -------
>> VOTES 1 1 0 127 Votes
>> $ mcr sysgen show expected votes
>> Parameter Name Current Default Min. Max. Unit Dynamic
>> -------------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ----
>> -------
>> EXPECTED_VOTES 1 1 1 127 Votes
>
> OK. First, 2 node clusters can be problematic due to not realy having the
> necessary number of node to properly form a cluster. The minimum is three
> nodes to form a cluster.
>
> However, let's look at what you said.
>
> You said that the VAX boots and forms a cluster. It has one vote and the
> expected votes is one. Therefore, when you boot it, it sees the necessary
> number of votes to continue booting and form a cluster.
>
> You also said that Alpha boots and hangs trying to form a cluster. It too
> has one vote but its expected votes is two. Therefore, until the VAX has
> booted, the number of votes is not present and the Alpha will hang.
>
> If you lower expected votes, the Alpha wil boot just like the VAX does. I
> would caution you read the VMS documentation regarding clusters and how to
> determine quorum. You risk, in the configuration of two nodes where each
> has one vote and expected votes of one, partitioning the cluster resulting
> in data corruption.

Thanks for the reminder of these issues. To be honest my experience with
clustering is limited and generally specific to satellite based
configurations. In this case I may make the VAX a satellite of the Alpha
with the local disk acting as page/swap.

Am I right in thinking then that the relationship changes somewhat in
that the Alpha will always need to be up but the VAX can come and go as
it pleases (with the correct shutdown sequence)?

Regards, Mark.

--
http://www.wickensonline.co.uk
http://hecnet.eu