[HECnet] OpenVMS 6.1 Cluster - Alpha not booting to form cluster

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Tue Oct 8 12:02:24 PDT 2013

On 08/10/2013 11:33, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
Mark Wickens <mark at wickensonline.co.uk> writes:

Just wondered if anyone would know why my Alpha when booting hangs at
the point where it attempting to determine whether to join or form a VMS
cluster? It is clustered with a VAX - if I boot the VAX first the VAX
creates a cluster which the Alpha will then happily join when turned on,
but if I power the Alpha without the VAX it just hangs.

Both are running an install straight from an original VMS 6.1
installation disk.
Just 2 nodes?

What's your quorum configuration?

Post:

$ MCR SYSGEN SHOW VOTES
$ MCR SYSGEN SHOW EXPECTED_VOTES

..from each node.
I think you, sir, may have found the issue:

On RIPLEY (the Alpha):

$ mcr sysgen show votes
Parameter Name                       Current       Default         Min.         Max. Unit   Dynamic
--------------                       -------       -------       -------   ------- ----   -------
VOTES                                                     1                   1                 0             127 Votes
$ mcr sysgen show expected votes
Parameter Name                       Current       Default         Min.         Max. Unit   Dynamic
--------------                       -------       -------       -------   ------- ----   -------
EXPECTED_VOTES                                   2                   1                 1             127 Votes

On DALLAS (the VAX):

$ mcr sysgen show votes
Parameter Name                       Current       Default         Min.         Max. Unit   Dynamic
VOTES                                                     1                   1                 0             127 Votes
$ mcr sysgen show expected votes
Parameter Name                       Current       Default         Min.         Max. Unit   Dynamic
EXPECTED_VOTES                                   1                   1                 1             127 Votes

--
    http://www.wickensonline.co.uk
    http://hecnet.eu