[HECnet] EISNER:: ?

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Tue Oct 8 15:04:27 PDT 2013

On 08/10/2013 14:54, Sampsa Laine wrote:
But some UNIX getty's DO speak Hayes AT so it's not that far-fetched an idea..
So, how do the Unix getty know that there is a hayes modem on the serial line, and not a terminal?

Config files and/or command line options - some of them even know how to pass FAXES along to a fax receiving program.

Not saying this should be in VMS, just that it has existed in the real world for a long time.

I have a couple of scripts which I think came from DECUS originally and there is definitely an FAQ on the subject.
I can share these for anyone who is interested (easy enough to put in the archive on SLAVE). You can guarantee you will need to do some tweaking however!

--
    http://www.wickensonline.co.uk
    http://hecnet.eu