[HECnet] Public "dropbox" type directory?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Oct 8 13:52:18 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-08 01:03, Sampsa Laine wrote:
What would be the correct security settings for a directory that:

	- Allows anyone to add a file
	- Anyone can read any file
	- Nobody can delete, edit or replace existing files.

Thinking of setting this up on CHIMPY for people to store nifty stuff they find.

I read through the discussion, but didn't see any attempt at an analysis of this, so I'll try to make some comments here.

In comparison to Unix, protections in VMS (and RSX) work a little different.

Anyone can always create a file on a volume, unless the volume ownership and protection generally prevents you. File in VMS and RSX do not need to exist in any directory.