[HECnet] OpenVMS on VAXstation 4000/60

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sun Oct 6 23:45:34 PDT 2013

it's a common problem.   my favorite statistic like this is the boot loader for the 3b2 (which ran a flavor sys v.3) is larger than the v6 and v7 kernels.   shameful IMHO

that said while I agree the OSes can bloat my experience is that many of us are unwilling to go back to the same "old system" for anything in production use and unfortunately their is the additional problem is there is rarely an agreement among us as to which of those new features   from the bloated ones are the required ones.

what I have seen work to a limited extend is to create a new system with learnings over time and try to inject a new   stronger strain into the Eco system. this was what Culter was trying do with Mica for vms.   but being able to carry old binaries gets very hard.

Clem