[HECnet] OpenVMS on VAXstation 4000/60

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Thu Oct 3 20:08:36 PDT 2013

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 10/03/2013 11:01 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Lighter???

FWIW, you'd be much better off running the latest and greatest on your
VAX
hardware to take advantage of the performance features contained
within it.
The VAX processors, even in the latter generation VAX systems, are not
very
fast by today's standards.   If you believe that every little bit
helps, then
you'd be running V7.3 to get every little bit of help you can get from
VMS.

I remember when VMS V5 came out. It was a total dog. I think DEC started
to work on improving performance in V6, but I would not be surprised to
learn that V7 is much better for performance than V6...

Same here.

V5 was a mess.   It was usable on my 3600s, but the hit was plainly
noticable.   Where it really hurt was on my 11/750.   (well not "my" of
course)   Under V4.7 we regularly had a dozen scientists working on the
11/750, while under V5 they started becoming frustrated and whiny around
7 or 8 users.   It was painful.

I've noticed V5 being a mess even in SIMH!   V4.7 had much better peformance. ;)

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects