[HECnet] OpenVMS on VAXstation 4000/60

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Thu Oct 3 16:10:41 PDT 2013

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> writes:

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013, Mark Wickens wrote:

On 03/10/2013 03:01, Cory Smelosky wrote:
On Thu, 3 Oct 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

Sweet! :-)

I'm thinking I'll stick with VMS 6.2.   With patches.

I like trying appropriate vintage VMS for the machines. It's weird how the
subtle differences creep in.
It's obvious at 6.1 how much TCP/IP, for example, is a 'bolt on'. Not
required for the OS. DECnet and underlying clustering protocols working just
fine on their own. Happy days.

I like appropriate vintage OSes for systems, too.   6.2 also seems a bit
lighter.

Lighter???

I have a different definition of "lighter" than others.

FWIW, you'd be much better off running the latest and greatest on your VAX
hardware to take advantage of the performance features contained within it.
The VAX processors, even in the latter generation VAX systems, are not very
fast by today's standards.   If you believe that every little bit helps, then
you'd be running V7.3 to get every little bit of help you can get from VMS.

I need to get a compatible CD drive before I can do that.   Until then I shall stick with 6.2

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff