[HECnet] OpenVMS on VAXstation 4000/60

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Thu Oct 3 12:26:04 PDT 2013

Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> writes:

On 10/02/2013 06:57 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Write it directly.

Backup can do that right?   I don't have to right disk images to disk in
VMS too often. ;)

No.   This is what I've done to write tape images to tapes:

$ INIT/ERASE MUA0: ""
$ MOUNT/FOREIGN/BLOCK=512 MUA0:
$ COPY <filename> MUA0:
$ DISMOUNT/UNLOAD MUA0:

Can anyone (Brian S?) say if this will work with disk as the
destination device as well?   I'd guess yes, but I haven't done it
myself, at least not recently enough that I remember.

Destination being a disk?   Yes.

$ MOUNT/FOREIGN DUA0:
$ COPY <filename> DUA0:
$ DISMOUNT DUA0:
$ MOUNT [/OVERRIDE=IDENTIFICATION] [/SYSTEM] DUA0: [label]

The [] items are optional depending upon what you will do with the drive
after writing the image to it.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG