[HECnet] OpenVMS on VAXstation 4000/60

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Oct 2 23:12:03 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-02 23:29, Cory Smelosky wrote:
On Wed, 2 Oct 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> writes:

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

Depends...

Issue a "SHOW DEVICE" at the dead sargent and post the output.

Well...this could explain a bit: I was burning at 24x and throwing
those
discs at a 12x drive.

:rolleyes:

That generally has no correlation whatsoever.   What's important is
whether
or not the CD-rom can read the recordable media you're using.   Some
record-
able media works better than other in older CD-rom drives.

Hey, I haven't touched CD-ROM stuff in awhile! ;)

You need a refresher...

BTW, the drive you have installed, is it jumpered for 512 byte
blocks???

I'm not even seeing a jumper for it on the drive.   Drive is a crippled
Apple CR-507-C (Hey!   It's the only working SCSI CD-ROM drive I have!)

I wouldn't be surprised if your problem turns out to be related to the
block size. DEC machines wants disks (including CD) to have 512 byte
blocks. A majority of CD drives do 2048 byte blocks. Not compatible.

      Johnny

I think I have several 512-byte sector drives!   None of them SCSI...

The drive burning the images is 2048-byte...that'd explain the problem.

No. The writing is fine. You can write the data on any drive...
You need to read it on a drive that do 512 byte blocks.