[HECnet] OpenVMS on VAXstation 4000/60

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Oct 2 22:56:18 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013, G. wrote:

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013 17:29:33 -0400, Cory Smelosky wrote:

I'm not even seeing a jumper for it on the drive.   Drive is a crippled
Apple CR-507-C (Hey!   It's the only working SCSI CD-ROM drive I have!)

Why don't you install over the network? It would be somewhat time consuming,
but trying to find a working CD-ROM drive isn't fast either.

That's what I'm thinking. ;)

Set up a Simh instance as a cluster boot server and the VAXstation as a
satellite without local paging or swapping, boot it, initialize its internal
disk, restore the B saveset onto it, copy the other savesets to the root
directory, shutdown, reboot from the local disk and proceed from there. :)

Hmmmm.

Otherwise, if you have a spare SCSI disk, you could dump the installation
image onto it (e.g. with dd) and use it as if it were a CD-ROM.

I hae a spare SCSI disk...but no way to write the image to scsi disk other than VMS.   The current VMS install albeit touchy would work for that.

Otherwise, if you have an Infoserver (either hardware or software) use it. :)

HTH,
G.

--
Cory Smelosky