[HECnet] OpenVMS on VAXstation 4000/60

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Oct 7 01:00:50 PDT 2013

On Sun, 6 Oct 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> writes:

On Sun, 6 Oct 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> writes:

yOn Sun, 6 Oct 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

Daniel Soderstrom <snaggs at mac.com> writes:

=20
Lighter???
=20
FWIW, you'd be much better off running the latest and greatest on your VAX=

hardware to take advantage of the performance features contained within=20=

VMS 3
0.9 million lines of code

VMS 5.4
6.5 million lines of code

VMS 7.1
25 million lines of code

I'd like to go back to 5.5H4 and avoid the bloat from OO programming. I was g=
iven advice previously that 6.3 is best for old VAX's.=20

OO!   ROTFLMFA0!

OpenVMS may be written in about 8 different languages but I'm fairly sure
none are OO...except MAYBE the few C++ bits according to Wikipedia.

Mostly BLiss and Macro in the kernel.   There's Fortran, Pascal, C and others
which were using in many libraries and utilities.   The late Larry Kilgallen,
whose humor and wit I sincerely miss, wrote much of the security code in Ada.

Ada?   I can imagine he does have an interesting sense of humour. ;)

Had. :(

Aww. :(

At one ZKO meeting, he and another fellow (I know his name but will elide
it from discussion here) had a battle of wits and I left, the room, as I
remember, in tears from laughter.

Explain further.   ;)

FWIW, the SECURITY_SERVER in VMS is mostly Larry's handiwork.

Neat.

Back to the theme of this thread:   Don't confuse the volume of source with
the efficiency of the code.

Exactly.

--
Cory Smelosky