[HECnet] VT340 - I MUST HAVE ONE OF THESE

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Oct 5 20:47:44 PDT 2013

On 10/05/2013 03:44 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
On Sat, 5 Oct 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 10/05/2013 03:32 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
A 340 is nice. The 330 is pretty much the same, except for being
monochrome.

The problem with the 340 is that the power supply have a tendency
of blowing up with age. (I have two broken ones...)

Can they be replaced with anything sensible, i.e. could a qualified
electrician build a new one for not too much effort?

Electricians do not do this sort of work.   They primarily pull cable
and run what amounts to plumbing and lots of physical construction.
What you're talking about is engineering.

It would likely be easier to repair the existing power supplies.   Are
schematics around?

...or wire up an ATX supply.

....if it has the right voltages.   Not everything is +12/+5.

Or the occasional 3.3.   You can also get hacky and drop the voltage on
the rails with the right circuit.

  Yes.   But almost nothing is 3.3V in the age range we're talking about.
The VT340 in particular predates mainstream 3.3V logic by at least a
decade.   Mine was a context-sensitive comment.