[HECnet] MMJ to DB9 serial adapter

Michael Holmes mholmes10 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 6 04:01:38 PDT 2013

Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 17:45:26 +0200
From: bqt at softjar.se
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
CC: mholmes10 at hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [HECnet] MMJ to DB9 serial adapter

On 2013-10-05 01:16, Michael Holmes wrote:
I have two VaxStation 3100's that I bought some time back but didn't have time to mess with until now.

Unlike my DEC 3000, the serial console is an MMJ port and not a DB9 serial port.

Does anyone have an excess or spare MMJ to DB9 adaptor, or know where I can purchase an inexpensive one?

First of all, you are talking about a DE9, not a DB9 (surprising how
many don't know the correct name of that connector).
Second, DEC often used a different pinout for a DE9 than IBM did, so you
might not be too happy with the adapter, depending on what you want in
the end.

I tired hooking up my multisync monitor I have hooked up to my DEC 3000, but I don't think the graphic card is set to a setting within the monitor's range, as nothing shows up.

Do the DEC 3000 have a VGA port?

No it has a 3W3 port and the cable outputs to BNC connectors.
One built-in and one on the add-on graphic card.